THE ARGENTNE TANGO SOCIETY
The Argentine Tango Society is a non-profit organization
founded in November 2000 as a collaborative effort
by the the Consul General of Argentina in New York and the
founding President of the Society. At its inception, the Society
received the endorsement of the Argentine Government and its
President. Subsequently, branches of "The Argentine Tango Society"
were created in Vermont (United States) and in the United Kingdom.
Argentine Tango first appeared on the scene towards the
end of the nineteenth century in Buenos Aires. Since then, it has
spread its wings worldwide and has been recognized by UNESCO as
"Heritage of Humanity".
GOAL OF THE SOCIETY
To preserve and promote Argentine Tango in its myriad of
expressions: music, dance, poetry, literature, history and the visual
- The Society has provided free dance classes at the Consulate
of Argentina in New York since 2002. More than 2,000 dancers
have made their initial acquaintance with Tango through this
- The Society has organized Gala benefits and fundraisers in
support of Argentine Tango and of children's hospitals in
- The Society has collected and preserved musical instruments
(Bandoneons) and other Tango artifacts (manuscripts, books,
sculptures, paintings, etc.).
- The Society has sponsored recordings of several
- The Society has produced Tango shows on a 'non profit'
- The Society has provided Masters classes
for accomplished musicians wishing to play Tango music.
- The Society has supported Tango seminars and workshops for
dance, music and History of Tango.
- The Society has produced film documentaries relating to Tango
history and some of its major figures.
- The Society has sponsored the purchase of the historic
"Cabaret Marabu", saving it from bankruptcy.
- The Society has assumed the sponsorship of one of the most
important Tango websites in the world: "Todo Tango".
- The Society has initiated an international Bandoneon
competition to encourage young musicians to take up the
- The Society is planning to disseminate information relating
to the health benefits of Tango Dancing in the areas of:
Cognitive skills, Parkinson's disease and Cardiac health.